Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), is an assessment tool that measures an individual’s preferences and how they make decisions. Change2020 regularly uses this assessment tool to build self-awareness and team effectiveness.
Prior to starting the role as Office and Team Coordinator at Change2020 I had not been exposed to an assessment tool of this type, but I was eager to be involved. Naturally, as most people are, I was curious to find out about myself and the MBTI tool was a great place to start.
Apparently, I am an ESFJ – a “supportive contributor”. After reviewing my report, I was not surprised by the results but the real benefit for me came when I shared my results with my team and they shared their profiles with me. I feel I am more considerate of how others like to work in my team, particularly those who fall into the opposite preference to me (for example; those who prefer to direct their energy as an introverted style vs myself who is a clear extrovert).
Completing MBTI has helped me to:
- Resolve conflicts – learning to recognise that people aren’t wrong – just different
- Recognise and play to people’s strengths
- Communicate more effectively with others
- Provide feedback to others for greater productivity
- Relate to others with greater understanding
- Be less judgemental
- Appreciate the value of a diverse team.